In this Article
- The video
- What is SuiteBackups?
- Why Use SuiteBackups?
- Who Can Use SuiteBackups?
- Where Are My Files Backed Up?
What is SuiteBackups?
The SuiteBackups system is designed to backup all of your files in your SuiteFiles or SharePoint sites. The system looks at your files three times per day and if changes have been made it will take a snap shot of the full folder structure and all of the files that have changed.
The backup taken is kept for the entire period of time that you keep the account open until the day that you close the account. You can go back to any backup time and restore or download a single file or a folder or the whole site depending on your needs.
SuiteBackups backs up a SharePoint Online site collection. It finds all of the document libraries in the site collection and any sub webs of the site collection. All of the files in each document library are backed up. We only backup files, nothing else.
Why Use SuiteBackups?
Microsoft provides a lot of protection for your files in SharePoint Online. They have:
- Geographical redundancy - copies of your data in multiple data centres in case one fails,
- Recycle bins - that keep deleted items for a period of time so they can be restored if need be,
- Version control on files - every time a file is updated a version is created that can be reverted to if required, and
- Full site collection backups - these are kept for a 15 day rolling period but when you need to restore you must restore the entire site, you can't restore a single element. A site collection restore also requires a service request with Microsoft to make happen.
This covers you for a number of things and the vast majority of scenarios. However, it doesn't cover you if:
- You accidentally move a folder or file then can't find it again (this does happen),
- Deleted files are not recovered before being purged from the recycle bin,
- Files that we need to recover are outside the 15 day window for a site collection backup, and
- You only want to recover one file or one folder and not restore the entire site (and roll back the version of all files in your site).
Added Levels of Governance on Your Files
If your business is subject to any form of auditing and you need to provide evidence of documentation in this process SuiteBackups can help you out. Three times a day we take a backup of your site and can show you the exact state of each file in the system at that time. The backup can't be altered, nothing added, edited or removed from each snapshot.
This means that when an auditor asks to see all of your files for a specific client on a given date you can provide that information for them.
Who Can Use SuiteBackups?
Anyone with an Office 365 account storing documents in SharePoint Online or OneDrive for Business.
SuiteBackups can be used as a stand alone product if you use SharePoint Online or OneDrive for Business. If you're a SuiteFiles customer and on either of our current Full Suite or Pro subscription plans then the backup is included in your subscription. If you're unsure what plan you're on please contact us and we can help you out by confirming the plan, getting you on to the right one (if required) and setting the backup running for you.
Where Are My Files Backed Up?
SuiteBackups is a cloud based backup. All of the files are currently store in Microsoft's Azure data centres in the Asia region. These are separate data centre infrastructures to the Office 365 data centres where your live data is being stored. Some customers have legal restrictions around the location of any of their electronic data. Please ensure that you are not violating any of these with your data being hosted in Asia (in particular Singapore).
As a cloud based system you have the power to access them yourself from any device with a web browser and internet connection. You can restore any file you need in minutes rather than waiting for Microsoft support with a full site collection restore.