3: Working with your team in SuiteFiles
SuiteFiles is where your team works together to manage your documents - where you share files, organise folders, upload scanned documents, and set up templates.
You can share files with both internal and external users through SuiteFiles. Only internal users will be able to access your file system.
You can manage the items that have been shared with you under the 'Tasks' tab.
NOTE: An external user is someone who is not included in your Office 365 account
Sharing a file:
Click the three dots next to the file name and select 'Share'
Hover over the file - three icons will appear between the file size column and the favourites star. Click on the middle sharing icon.
- Enter either a) the name of an internal user, or b) the email address of an external user
- If entering a user, select the user from the drop-down list which appears upon typing
- If entering an external users email address, hit the enter key so an orange box appears around the email address
- Type a note to the recipient and choose an action option from the list provided
- Click the 'Share' button
Viewing shared files:
To view the items that your team has shared with you, navigate to the 'Tasks' tab. Here, you can:
- Mark shared files as 'Done' once you've completed the task attached to that file.
- Download files.
- Add a comment to a shared file.
You can also check on your files that you've shared with other users to see if they've updated them.
A great file system is one where you can find what you need. To help you keep your folders tidy and easy to find, here's a list of what you can do with folders in SuiteFiles.
To create a new folder:
- Navigate to the folder you want it to be in,
- either a) click the three dots next to the folder name,
- select 'Create subfolder', or b) click the blue 'Create' button and select 'Create folder.'
- Provide a name for your new folder then click 'Create'.
- You can also use a folder template if you have templates set up in SuiteFiles.
To rename a folder:
- Click on the three dots next to the folder name,
- click on 'rename',
- edit the folder name and,
- click the 'Confirm' button.
To move a folder:
- click on the three dots next to the folder name,
- select 'Move folder to' and choose the new folder location.
- Click MOVE to move the folder to it's new location.
- For folders with a lot of sub-folders inside it, you can filter them to find the folder you want easily.
- Simply start typing the first few letters of the sub-folder name and the folders will automatically filter.
- Only the folders that begin with the letters you've typed will appear.
- There is no filter box or field that you need to type into, just start typing!
You can scan documents directly to any folder of your choosing within SuiteFiles. You can generate a unique email address for any folder in SuiteFiles. You can scan or email documents directly to a folder through this email address.
Your team or external users can upload documents to SuiteFiles by using this email address without needing to access your site.
Creating the email address for a folder
- click on the three dots next to the folder name and select 'Create Email Address'.
- A unique email address will be generated for that folder.
- Click on the blue copy icon to copy the email address to your clipboard.
- Use this email address to email documents to, or enter it into your scanner.
Filing Scanned Documents
- When files are scanned to SuiteFiles, they will appear in the 'Scans' tab.
- From here, you can file documents to different folders by selecting the relevant folders from a drop-down list.
- You can also rename the file before clicking 'File it' to file the document to the chosen location.
- Once filed, the item will disappear from the Scans tab.
You can create and manage folder, file and email templates in SuiteFiles. This ensures that everyone in your team has access to the same material.
If you use Xero Practice Manager, Xero HQ or WorkflowMax, you can also prepopulate templates with client data through custom fields.
Create a new file using a template:
- Click on the 'Create' button.
- Select 'File from template'.
- Choose a template
- Give the file a name and (if you have an integration set up with Xero Practice Manager / Xero HQ / WorkflowMax) choose a client to prepopulate the file with their data.
Create a new folder using a folder template:
- Click on either a) the three dots next to the folder name and select 'Create subfolder' or b) Click on 'Create' and select 'New folder'
- Give the new folder a name and choose a folder template from the drop-down list
- Click 'Create'
Create a new email using a template
- Open a new email in Outlook.
- Click on 'Insert from template' in the message ribbon.
- Select a template from the drop-down list
- Choose a client to prepopulate the template if required
Turn an email into a template
- Create a new email in Outlook.
- Add in the content that you want the email to have. Add any merge fields that you want to use later to prepopulate with client information. Note: Remove your email signature from the body content before saving the email as an email template.
- Attach any file attachments you want to include.
- Click on 'Save as email template' in the message ribbon.
- Give the email template a name, tick 'Include Attachments' if required, and click 'Create Template.'